History

    Granite County and its county seat, Philipsburg, came to life during the silver mining boom of the late 1800s. Philipsburg’s Hope Mill was the first silver mill in Montana, and nearby Granite Mill was the greatest silver producer in the state. At its peak, Philipsburg was home to more than 3,000 residents, but the Silver Crash of 1893 devastated the mining business and most of the

    population disappeared nearly overnight. Meanwhile, alongside the mining boom, Utah cattle baron Fred Burr introduced cattle ranching to the Flint Creek Valley in the 1850s – a pursuit that has persevered through the decades. The Ranch at Rock Creek was originally a mining claim in the late 1800s. Somewhere around the turn of the century, The Ranch was homesteaded

    by W.W. Shaffer and P.W. White and has since been operated continuously as a working cattle ranch.

    The current owner, Jim Manley, purchased the property in 2007 after a lifetime search for the perfect ranch.