Guests love the thrill of riding Montana on horseback or on a mountain or e-bike, but we also recommend exploring our diverse eco-system on foot. Follow the Eastern valley through pine forests and rhyolite outcroppings to summit Paradise Peak. Hike the Western hills through wildflower meadows to Mary Beth’s Peak and Top of the World.
The trails along Rock Creek are ideal for a short stroll, while avid backpackers can appreciate The Ranch’s 20+ miles of trails as an advanced hiking resort. Get outfitted with hiking boots and a trail map at the Rod & Gun Club. Schedule a guided hike for an in depth look at the flora, fauna and history of The Ranch. Try Geotagging, a hiking activity that uses GPS coordinates to find Ranch landmarks.
Guests will be challenged to take a photo on each of The Ranch’s five peaks to earn a place on our “brag board” at The Rod & Gun Club.
Adventure awaits on our new hiking and advanced horseback riding adventures to high-mountain lakes in the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest. This exclusive excursion is available as a full-day activity, complete with The Ranch’s gear, seasoned guides and provisions. Hike to Fuse Lake, an angler’s dream thanks to its aquatic residents, Arctic Grayling – the only fish species to inhabit these waters. Even further afield lies Twin Lakes, home to Rainbow and Cutbow Trout.
- Excursion cost is:
- $125/person for full-day hiking excursion to Fuse Lake.
- $350/person for a full-day horseback riding or hiking excursion to Twin Lakes.
- $100 additional fee to add fly fishing to either excursion, plus fishing license if applicable.
- Horseback excursions:
- Advanced riders over age 18 only.
- Four guests max.
- Available July and August.
- Includes lunch, provisions, guiding and gear.
- Ranch outfitters are currently the only permitted outfitter.
- Montana Outfitter #31522.
- These excursions are operated under a special use permit with the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest, an equal opportunity provider.